"Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind". - Henry James

Monday, February 27, 2012

Working Through The Artist's Way

has given me just a little time to work on art and almost no time to post!  Argh.  Here are two things I managed to scan.  The first is my attempt at a flower painting from a tutorial the wonderful Carla Sonheim posted a few days ago.  


The second is also one of Carla's Tutorials - Cereal Box Transfer Painting.  This is my Buddha statue in the snow.  I can't wait to do more (as soon as learn more blasted Photoshop!).



Working through The Artist's Way again has been wonderful and difficult and time consuming.  I wonder how much to share.  I just finished Chapter Three, Recovering a Sense of Power.  I sort of sailed through Chapters One and Two.  Morning Pages?  Check.  Been doing them for years now.  Artist Date?  Check.  I struggled mightily with Artist Dates on my first trip through TAW, but I was actually able to do one each week.  A triumph!  A breakthrough!  (And they are lots of fun too.  This week I went and had a Tarot reading!).  I've even had fun doing the Tasks at the end of each chapter.  I admit I skipped most of them the first time through TAW.

And then I read the first line of Chapter Three, "Anger is fuel."  Yikes.  About half way through the chapter she writes about shame.  Oh no.  Well, here we are.  Anger and shame.

But the good thing is I've come to understand much of my difficulty and struggles.  Why is it so difficult for me finish pieces?  I never could understand that until I read about how risky making a piece of art can be for a person who has been shamed early and often.  I even hate typing the word shame.  

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link about the transfers - I may drop everything and do that right now. So many ideas.

    Thank you too for joining the Thermofax class on Sunday - it was a great day, and you did fantastic work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda, for a wonderful, wonderful day! I learned sooo much. The transfers are quite fun and I love the idea of using stuff like cereal boxes for art.

      I hope you'll post some of your transfers. I'm aching to see where you'll take them!

      Delete