"Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind". - Henry James

Monday, July 11, 2011

From Art Journaling to Art DVD/Download by Jane LaFazio.




A work in progress following the instructions in From Art Journaling to Art DVD/Download by Jane LaFazio.  I'm having such fun both working in my watercolor Moleskine sketchbook and then using the images to create a whole new piece!

The video is divided into convenient chapters and Jane gives wonderful lessons in materials and techniques in the first couple.  I've been drawing a while and am fairly familiar with materials and drawing, but her pleasant and gentle instruction is a great reminder of good things to keep in mind while drawing.  I also like her way of working lightly in pencil first and then redrawing with a waterproof pen.  It takes a little of the angst out of directly drawing with a pen.

In the next chapter she uses a water-soluble Tombow pen, which I love.  The effect of drawing with the pen and then touching the line lightly with a moist brush or a Niji waterbrush can be really wonderful.  It produces lovely shadow and tone.  I've worked with a Tombow pen before, but I wouldn't have thought of adding color to my drawings afterward!  Really nice.  In that same chapter she talks about composing  and finishing pages and she shares more great techniques for doing just that.

The real fun for me began in the chapter "Using Your Drawings in Mixed-Media Artwork".  She traced some of the images from her art journal using a waterproof pen (she covered the art journal page with clear plastic to protect it - good advice) on some art/craft tissue paper and then cut out the image leaving a small border.  She then took a separate piece of watercolor paper she had pre-painted a light background on and glued the tissue tracing down using soft gel medium.  Like magic the tissue paper disappeared and she had a lovely line drawing on her paper.  After the gel medium dried, she then went in and added color using colored pencils and watercolor crayons.  I imagine you could use regular watercolor too.  I haven't tried that yet.  This is how I did the piece above:  I used images from my sketchbook, colored pencil, and Caran d'Ache Neocolor II crayons.

She gives great instructions in this same chapter on carving stamps for printing on paper and fabric and shows absolutely lovely examples of how she combines her images and techniques on linens and quilts and all sorts of things.  She also shows how to make stencils from sketchbook images using freezer paper and how to use the stencils with paint sticks to add color to fabric.  Tons of inspiration!

I'm off to do some more drawing so I can have more images to play with ~

6 comments:

  1. Thank YOU Deb!!! I really appreciate your kind review and your flower page is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank YOU Jane! I adore the video workshop. Maybe one day I'll be lucky enough to take a workshop in person!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wiat for mine to arrive....its in the post as we type ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay Kristin! Have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb what a beautiful blog you have. Your work is wonderful!! I love your blog banner, the simplicity of it, and the illustration. As soon as I'm more comfortable with drawing and painting I will make a new one for my blog. Your daisies are gorgeous. I'm going to Flickr to leave you some comments, then back to explore your blog further.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for your kind comments Betty Jo! I find the more I draw, the more I enjoy it and the happier I am with the results (every once in a while). :-D Good luck and keep drawing!

    ReplyDelete