"Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind". - Henry James

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

"Sometimes It's Just About the Joy"*

Watercolor and Lexington Gray Noodler's ink on 140 lb. cold-pressed Arches watercolor paper., 5 3/4 x 7 1/2 inches

I bought a nifty folding travel palette from Daniel Smith and it arrived yesterday!  I filled the 12 full pans with my favorite Daniel Smith watercolors and pulled out a reference photo I've been wanting to paint a sketch from for a while now.  I've been working toward drawing and painting more quickly and developing a more loose and impressionistic style.  And one of the the reasons I love watercolor so much is that it lends itself to that freshness and looseness.  Some artists produce the most beautiful sketches in watercolor.  I particularly love Kate Johnson's work. See her on her website and her Flickr photostream.  I am especially inspired by her sketches, Cooley Lake and Urban Ruins.  Beautiful!

Ricë Freeman-Zachery wrote a terrific post about finding the joy in what we do, *Sometimes It's Just About the Joy and it served as a wonderful reminder of why I paint and draw.  I love it!

I may add a figure moving down the path.  

2 comments:

  1. Very nice, Deb. I love especially the ink work -- it's fresh and interesting and draws the eye, even the tiny details do. Your "quick" study is paying off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Rosey! I value your comments. They are considered and specific and it is so helpful to have that feedback. Thanks for looking too! :-D

    ReplyDelete