"Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind". - Henry James

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

More Quick Sketching

Black & white colored pencil on tan Mi-Teintes paper
Okay, here we are back in winter :-D.  This is an exercise from Kate Johnson's Quick Sketching Techniques - 2.  I am surprised by how much I like colored pencils!  The idea here is to (quickly) capture a range of values.  When one starts with toned paper, the middle range is there.  By adding darks with the black colored pencil and lights with touches of the white pencil, it really is quite fast and easy to arrive at a range of values.  I only spent about 10 or 15 minutes on this sketch.

I have some more colors of this Canson Mi-Teintes paper and I like that it has one side that is more textured than the other.  I think I used the more textured side here (see the snow on the roof).

There are possibilities here!

2 comments:

  1. Any recommendations on colored pencils? I have a bunch of old ones somewhere but I'm thinking of investing in a new set for my trip. I've always liked them. I've told you this, but for anyone else reading this, you can "water" them, smear the colors so they're not pencil-y, with lighter fluid and a q-tip, so you get the benefit of another medium. Probably something else other than lighter fluid works, but I've never experimented. I like them combined with ink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only used Prismacolor brand (they come in sets or you can buy individual colors). They seem to have a lot of pigment in them and I like the consistency, sort of smooth and rich. I haven't really done much with them though. I do want to try the lighter fluid technique. I also wonder if one of those blender pens people use with colored markers would work. Might be worth it to experiment. More ideas!

    ReplyDelete