"Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind". - Henry James

Monday, March 7, 2011

Facebook Scares Me (a Little)

I know practically everyone in the whole wide world is on facebook and that email will, in the very near future, be obsolete, but facebook is giving me fits!

I took a workshop on Saturday at Sharon Arts Center with the talented and informative Melanie McDonald called Facebook for Artists.  I was relieved to see that I wasn't the only one in the room who is somewhat mystified and a little apprehensive about facebook.  It feels intrusive and clunky and I find it visually unappealing.

Much of the concern among the artists in the workshop was, naturally, about privacy and the wish to keep personal life and professional life somewhat separate.  I think many of us fear being "invaded" in our private space.  So that is the question:  How do you have a presence online and yet retain a little privacy?

One good outcome is that I reconnected with lots of wonderful people!  And it was such fun being accepted as a "friend".  I have to admit I liked hearing back from people!  Maybe that is the appeal.

What I don't like is the awful ad with the woman pulling her skin off her face!  Good heavens!  And why do ads for getting rid of belly fat keep showing up I want to know?  And how to take 20 years off my face, etc.  I'm okay with being over 50.  Really.  What's the alternative?

Also, I haven't figured out the whole wall/message thing.   I responded to messages from friends and some of them showed up on my wall and others are in my messages.  How did that happen?  Is there a tutorial somewhere that teaches facebook for reasonably intelligent but frightened people?  I don't want to be rude and violate some facebook etiquette (is there such a thing?) and respond via the wrong avenue.

I also added a "Page".  I still don't get that, but my page is for me as an artist.  I tried to link my "page" to this blog.  I don't see how to do that.  I tried to add a "like" button here and all I got was a big white box.  I don't know.  I don't think facebook and I are "friends" yet.

I think I'll go draw for a while.

4 comments:

  1. Don't give up! It takes a while to bond with FB. I don't like it for all the same reasons you mentioned, but I do like it because I can find people there--sometimes that's the only way to get in touch with an artist I want to talk to. My advice: walk away for a couple of days, then come back and tweak things, then take another break. If you set it up, most things from FB can come to you via email, so you don't have to spend lots of time there, at least not at first. Hang in there--it gets easier! (I think--I'm sure no expert)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are quite right, it does get a little easier each time I come back. A little. I read somewhere that some schools and companies aren't issuing email accounts anymore. Everything is done on FB. I just wish it were a little more attractive, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stopped using FB and made a personal blog instead with a login required to read / share data. I then found that for some social reasons, I needed an FB account :o(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could find what everyone else seems to like so much about it. I just hate the way FB arbitrarily changes things and then doesn't tell you that you can't do anymore what just the day before you did! I gave up. Fortunately I don't "need" to be on FB. :-D

    ReplyDelete