"Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind". - Henry James

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Embracing Imperfection

I did this small (approximately 5 1/2 inches by 7 1/2 inches) on a piece of 90 lb. hp watercolor paper from a pencil sketch I did a few days ago.  I used ultramarine blue and burnt sienna, both from Daniel Smith.

My idea was to work quickly, with the minimum of fuss, from a sketch.  I'm fighting the urge to go back and fix things such as the slightly wonky windows and roof lines or to add darks or pull out whites.  It is really a sketch, so I want to leave it looking like a sketch.  I want to embrace imperfection!

I think I'll do another one and make the places dark where I want to add darks and to leave the white places where I want to pull out whites.

4 comments:

  1. It's lovely and creates a wonderful atmosphere. I don't think it needs anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Shirley. I love the internet - you can work all alone and still get feedback! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course it's lovely as it stands! AND, I find it's always good to repeat and try different approaches. If it were mine I might try making the tree a birch, just to see what some white areas in the vertical might to to it. Might integrate the tree more into the house and give some more tension to the vision: "Where the heck is that tree, it seems to move...?" Or going in with some very black but thin lines here and there. I wouldn't worry about the goofy windows, they add movement too. Very nice though, and fun to see. Thanks! from Rosey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Rosey! I love the ideas of making the tree a birch and adding dark lines. I think like the windows now too!

    ReplyDelete