"Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind". - Henry James

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Cathy Johnson's Mini-class: Quick Sketching Techniques

In my quest to learn to draw faster, I have signed up for Cathy (Kate) Johnson's Mini-class:  quick sketching techniques.  I love the very first illustration on the first page - a variety of birds in various media.  Beautiful.  (I would post the drawing here, but I want to ask Kate's permission first).

Kate is a wonderful artist and teacher.  I took an online class with her a year ago last fall and it was great fun.  I hadn't taken an online class before and didn't really know what to expect.  I made several online friends and learned so much about materials, techniques, and keeping a sketchbook.  It was great!  When Kate offered this new Mini-class, well I couldn't resist!

She gave us some photographs to work with to try out some of the techniques she demonstrated.  I used a General's Woodless Graphite 9 pencil.  It's quite soft, but makes lovely darks and smudges well for a range of tones.  The top image is from a photograph she took of a beach in California and the bottom one is her cat, Ellis.

1 comment:

  1. More about this online class, Deb. How do I do it? I want to get back into sketching for my trip this summer, and went so far as to buy a small sketchbook, and as usual, that was the end of that! Maybe if I had the input from a class...

    ReplyDelete