"Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind". - Henry James

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Drawing as Preparation for Painting



I love to draw for drawing's sake.  But drawing is also a good way to prepare for and plan a painting.  Many people paint directly with good result.  I find, however, that I really do need to plan, especially with watercolor.

This is my brother on his old sailboat, sadly gone now - donated to a sailing school (the boat, not my brother).  This is probably too detailed for value sketch, but it serves the purpose.  And if I never get to the painting, I'll still have the drawing.  I think I'll do a watercolor sketch from this drawing and see how that goes.


I drew the house up in back.  I often catch a glimpse of it through the trees in winter.  It is a lovely purple and I've wanted to draw and paint it for a long time.  It is partially obscured by trees in the winter and completely blocked once the trees leaf out.  There are more trees than I drew here and I think I'll want to place them strategically for the best design.

There is another house that I can sometimes see through the trees, but I don't think there is quite enough visible for me to draw.  Of course, I could just draw the bits I can see and then use my imagination to indicate the rest.  That might be the way to go.


And of course the day wouldn't be complete without a dog drawing or two



or three or four.

3 comments:

  1. Ah, I see this drawing and recognize the house in the later post. I think I like the 3 thinner trees better than the one solid one in the watercolor, they have a graceful quality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I made a compositional mistake in having them lean out of the picture (sort of leading the eye away from the house). I don't usually think about these things until after I do them and then realize my mistake of course. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete