"Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind". - Henry James

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

An Accordion Sketchbook

I took an old 140 lb. cold pressed watercolor painting I had started and never finished and made an accordion sketchbook out of it.  I covered some mat board with some decorative paper and ribbon for the cover.  It measures 4 by 3 3/4 inches when folded up.  Not quite square, but close enough.
I did a few drawings in it and set it aside.

I started carrying it with me lately and, as happens, I filled it!  A little and often really does work.
Cold pressed watercolor paper has a slight tooth, not as much as rough paper, but sometimes it can be difficult to draw on with pen and ink.  I found I like the way a Pilot V Razor Point pen works on this paper.  It has the wonderful quality of not being waterproof and makes lovely washes.  I touched the ink lines with a Niji waterbrush and the ink ran and made these lovely shadows and tones.

I drew where ever I happened to be and often didn't have time to complete some drawings.  I like the way one blends into another when I unfold the sketchbook.
Having a sketchbook with me at all times is a great way to use those spaces in my day when I'm waiting for someone or I'm a little early for an appointment.
I actually look forward to these moments to do a little observing and drawing.
And I think I found a use for that stack of unfinished paintings I've had for quite a while now.  

2 comments:

  1. Deb! You are so clever! I am so impressed, both by your blog and your podcast. I've learned some very interesting things from it that I'll tell you when we next spin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Alice! Can't wait to hear what you learned. On Monday I hope!

    ReplyDelete