"Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind". - Henry James

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

What Calls to You for Attention?

Roz Stendahl did a wonderful post What Calls To You For Attention? a while back and it stayed with me for weeks.  I went back to reread it recently and noticed that Roz had responded to my comment. 

I had said that I didn’t have much success with suggested lists of things to draw or journal prompts.  I would usually start out all enthusiastic, and then sort of fizzle out.  Same thing with “Challenges” (someone suggests a theme and you interpret it in your own way).  I love the idea of them, but then don’t seem to be able to sustain my interest for more than a week or so.  So I said I was going to listen for what calls to me. 

Roz responded:

“Deb, I hope the listening yields insights. I find that my best listening is done when I am seated next to a dog I love! Can hear her breath, smell the grass or leaves in the air, you get the idea.”

Yes, I do get the idea!  And isn’t that just lovely?  Fortunately I do have a dog I love and who loves to nestle next to me while I listen.

So I started listening.  And listening.  And listening a little more.  And ever so slowly things began to call to me for attention:  my dog (!), the birds at the feeder, the “Halloween” crow I bought at Michaels Crafts (made of real feathers over a form and surprisingly lifelike), a paper honeycomb Thanksgiving turkey, all sorts of things for me to draw.  I noticed the sky in the evening shortly before sunset, the patterns of the leaves underfoot as we tramp through our friend’s woods, and the blue eyes of our dog friend, Birch.


Thanks Roz!

4 comments:

  1. Deborah, Thank you for your kind words about my post. I'm thrilled that it stuck with you. I'm even more thrilled that you drew your lovely dog Birch as you listened! Your listening has yielded lovely images and I know it will yield more!
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Roz! Yes, I just need to remember to get quiet and listen to "What Calls to Me For Attention".

    ReplyDelete
  3. super sketches deborah! i'm trying to train myself to do this too... just notice. and record. and thanks for the reminder about roz's blog. i haven't been there for a while but her posts are packed with great techniques and journal pages. need to get back there and see what she's up to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Aimee! I think training one’s self is the key. I keep having to remind myself to get quiet and listen. And I have to remind myself a lot :-D. Isn't Roz the best? Love your colorful and inspiring blog!

    ReplyDelete