"Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind". - Henry James

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Learning PanPastels

Carla Sonheim, of Drawing Lab For Mixed Media fame, does the most wonderful drawings using PanPastels. (Well, all her drawings are really wonderful, but I was thinking particularly of her drawings using PanPastels).  She graciously shared her method of using them on her blog, Carla Sonheim, Snowball Journals and I felt inspired.  I have a starter set of ten; black, white, yellow, red, blue, green, purple, and some earth tones - ochre, umber, and burnt sienna, I think.




For this drawing I used blue, yellow, and red.


It was sort of fun using my fingers to blend and smudge.  And then I pulled out some highlights with an eraser and added some detail with pencil.  Finally, I sprayed it with matte fixative before scanning.


I think I like PanPastels. 

4 comments:

  1. A lovely piece of work. Your blending is just wonderful.

    Thanks so much for sharing.

    Nutty
    (trying to get her youngest to sleep)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gumnut! (Or should I call you Nutty?) :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is stunning deb, taking carlas online class and cant wait to see her in action with these xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Carla is amazing and you'll love her class. I've loved every one I took with her.

      Delete