"Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind". - Henry James

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Rethinking a Handbound Journal

I made this collage sketchbook cover a while ago.  I made a single signature for it using Stonehenge paper.  Turns out I don't really like to draw on Stonehenge.  I find my favorite pen, Lamy Safari Extra Fine nib, drags horribly.  I generally use Lexington Gray Noodler's Ink for drawing and Black Noodler's Ink for writing.  Well, both of my Safari pens drag and sputter on Stonehenge and drawing and writing is decidedly unpleasant.  I tried a few other favorite pens, a Pilot V Razor Point Extra Fine and a Pigma Micron 01, and they were better, but still not great.  The following page was done with the Pilot V Razor Point which is not waterproof and makes lovely shading when touched with water.  Kind of fun.



Then I tried watercolors with my little travel set.  Surprisingly the watercolor worked really well.  I believe Stonehenge is primarily a printmaking paper, so I didn't really expect it to work all that well with watercolor.


But I put too many pages in the signature and I decided take it apart and rebind it using Fabriano 90 lb. hot pressed paper.  90 lb. paper is light enough for several pages to be bound together and the smooth surface works so well with the fountain pens.  I am a little disappointed though because it is so reasonably priced.  I had high hopes.  But I do have some ideas of how I can use it.

1 comment:

  1. I love the pear. The subtle colours are wonderful.

    I'm also a tad envious :D I find watercolours scary :D

    Nutty
    (control freak)

    ReplyDelete