"Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind". - Henry James

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Drawing Lab 8 Imaginary Animals




Well, it has happened.  I did a Drawing Lab that I didn't like.  But it is a good thing I think.  I found out a lot about myself and what and how I like to draw, what is enjoyable to me.  That's good.  It helps me to find what I want to spend my energy on.

I have found that I like to draw from life, animals, people, places, etc. that are in front of me.  I have always known that I don't much enjoy drawing from photographs, except the Monkey Business Lab - that was fun and I was pleased with the results.  My work from photographs usually looks sort of static and dead to me.  I think it is my lack of engagement with the subject that shows through.  Same thing for working from stuffed and mounted specimens.  They're dead and they look it in my drawings.

I also don't like working solely from my imagination (as these results illustrate...cringe).  I like to have a subject in front of me.  I think these are important things to know about one's self.

And that's not to say I don't enjoy what others do from photographs and their imaginations!  Some people do wonderful things.  I just don't seem to be able to work that way.  Good to know.

The next section in Drawing Lab looks more to my taste.  Drawing people!  Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment