"Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind". - Henry James

Friday, January 22, 2010

Make Your Own Journal Class (Online!)



I finished my first journal/sketchbook for the online class, Make Your Own Journal!  I love it!  Of course I made zillions of mistakes and measured things wrong, etc., but nothing really catastrophic.  And I got all carried away with the collage on the cover.  I have all this paper stuff and I think I was trying to use it ALL on this first one!

I wonder if I could put the fabric on the spine first and then collage over that - being careful not to cover the area that will bend for the spine of course.  I’d like the collage part to extend closer to the spine I think.

I could have done a better job scoring the creases for the spine as well.  Also I got a little “off” measuring and trimming and ended up with a slightly smaller book, about 1/4“, than I think it was supposed to be.  I don’t think that’s too, too bad though.

I made another cover, so now I’ll have to make another signature for that one.  Unfortunately I used up all my 90 lb. hot pressed watercolor paper.  I have plenty of 140 lb., but it may be too heavy.  I could try it with fewer pages and then it wouldn’t be too thick.

Can't wait to use it!


2 comments:

  1. The journal looks great....but what are you going to put in it? That's what I want to see!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks dust bunny! As soon as I put something in it, I'll be sure to post ;-D

    ReplyDelete