"Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind". - Henry James

Monday, November 23, 2009

Adventures in Bookbinding


I have been looking for a bookbinding class nearby for a couple of years now, with no luck.  Kate Johnson listed these on her amazon list as helpful for those wanting to bind their own sketchbooks.  I'd like to bind my own because I like hot pressed watercolor paper and I've yet to find one commercially made that has hp paper.

I watched the DVD, Bookbinding: A Traditional Approach, through once.  It is a traditional way of binding books with sewn signatures and a hard cover, etc.  I'd like to give it a try, maybe when winter really sets in and I need an involved project.

The book, How to Make Books:  Fold, Cut & Stitch Your Way to a One-of-a-Kind Book, is lots of fun! It has a playful approach to making less traditional, folded and glued sorts of books.  More my speed, I think.  I've already made two books following the clear instructions - lots of pictures and diagrams for those of us visual learners.

Chapter 1 is Instant Books.  Right up my street.  I made the Basic Instant Book out of a single sheet of paper in about a half a minute.  I know!  I wrote a poem called One Day I Went Out for a Walk and I want to learn how to print it on a single piece of paper and make an "Instant" book out of it.  I'll have to lasso my talented graphic designer daughter to show me how to do it in Photoshop.  She's a wiz with Photoshop, but she does everything so quickly that I can barely see what it is she's done and there it is.  If I do figure it out (or get help), I'll post it here.

The second book I made is an accordion book out of an old watercolor painting that never went anywhere.  I have a big pile of those that I've got plans for.  I made a wrap-around cover from some corrugated cardboard and I think I'll fashion some sort of elastic tie to keep it together.  Nifty, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment